Halls of Residence Manager
We have an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Halls Manager to work at our brand new, outstanding luxury 791 bed student accommodation scheme in Manchester City Centre. This impressive 32-storey building, which is based in a vibrant regeneration area, will include a cinema room, gym and roof-top garden. Downing is well-known for our signature high-end look and feel throughout, and this development will be no exception, having already created keen interest during the construction phase.
Downing is an award-winning leading developer, owner and operator of bespoke, luxury student accommodation across the UK. We have been operating for over 30 years and currently have 18 buildings in 9 major cities, with additional impressive schemes currently under construction around the country.
With this being a brand-new building, the Halls Manager will have the exciting and rewarding task of fully mobilising this large scheme. In the months before its grand opening, you will undertake sales and marketing activities to showcase this incredible accommodation and strive for maximum occupancy. You will work closely with the talented in-house marketing team and also concentrate on local networking where you will be the face of the Downing brand.
Once the building is open, you will be responsible for all operational activities within the scheme whilst managing and overseeing an in-house team along with sub-contractors. You will ensure that an exceptional level of customer service is provided, and the building is managed and maintained to a high standard.
Hours of work: 40 hours per week Monday to Friday, 8am – 5pm or 9am – 6pm. There will also be a requirement to work overtime on weekends during the busy student turnaround period and check in weekends.
Reporting to the Regional Manager, The Halls Manager’s main duties will include:
- To instruct the site team regarding Health & Safety, data protection & current legislation.
- Handling partnership agreements with large external institutes and meeting all the relevant KPI’s.
- Supporting hospitality & customer service functions to include presentation of communal areas, handling of complaints and pastoral issues.
- To manage the student letting cycle to ensure 100% occupancy. This will include marketing activities, scheduling for availability, viewings, check in and out, inspections, tenancy agreements, rent & arrears management, student welfare & head office documentation.
- Management reporting.
- Maximize income e.g. promoting extensions, summer lets and vending.
- To provide customer focused facilities and maintenance services to include management of utilities, waste, security & cleaning contracts and full budgets.
- To be responsible for the delivery of the scheme’s statutory inspection and testing programme and all associated paperwork. To prepare reports relating to Health & Safety/site issues.
- To provide site/building management to, ensure best practice at all times, scheduling and management of trades, support services plus supporting the relationship building with local Police, Fire, Ambulance and supporting partners e.g. University.
- To organise, tender and manage own quota of minor works, planned and preventative maintenance programs.
- Contribute to ensuring compliance with Health & Safety legislation, and that all risk assessments are correctly carried out.
- Manage defects and resolve complex or outstanding defects.
- Contribute to the on-site procurement programme for maintenance, servicing and facilities contracts and to minor contractors throughout the contract term.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- A proven successful track record in a management role within student accommodation.
- An outstanding level of customer service.
- The ability to manage a multi-disciplined team.
- Previous experience in a service driven environment and exceeding service levels.
- The ability to think on your feet and exercise sound judgement and reasoning.
Downing employees get to work within fantastic environments, with passionate team members and will be fully supported by a senior management team who have extensive experience within the field of student accommodation. You will also receive:
- Competitive salary
- Paid overtime
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance cover