Downing has over 30 years’ experience in the delivery of high-quality student accommodation and educational facilities. Opportunities exist to grow within this highly successful, dynamic company as it expands its operations.
We are looking for a Maintenance Operative to join our team responsible for our high quality mixed use student accommodation and residential development in Coventry.
As a Maintenance Operative, you will be responsible for delivering the best experience to our customers by providing a pro-active and responsive repair and maintenance service, ensuring that faults and maintenance requests within the accommodation are dealt with in a timely manner.
The successful candidate will be required to work within a team to provide cover between 8.00 am – 6.00 pm working 40 hours per week Monday to Friday, with Saturdays on a rota basis with a day off in lieu. Cover for weekends is also required, to support during our busy summer period.
- Exercise initiative in providing excellent customer service, liaising effectively with Managers and other colleagues
- Liaise with and monitor onsite contractors to ensure completion of work
- Be responsible for the day to day reactive and preventative maintenance
- Be responsible for the planned maintenance including fire alarm testing, emergency lighting testing, fire extinguisher checks water hygiene flushing / temperature monitoring, shower head descaling and health & safety checks
- Undertake regular building patrols to identify any maintenance requirements or Health and Safety risks
- Undertake scheduled flat inspections and complete all resultant actions in a timely manner
- Record, log and monitor any maintenance issues that may arise within the maintenance log book
- Ensure that maintenance records are kept for the all services, including gas safety inspections, lightening protection systems, fall arrest systems, PAT testing and fixed wiring certification
- Ensure that all Property Documentation Files are accurately maintained and up to date
- Adherence to H&S policy ensuring that Risk Assessments and Method Statements are obtained / maintained and that safe systems of work are followed, including Permit to Work and hot works permits
- Interact with students and understand their needs
- Take ownership of responsibilities and display pride in work carried out
- Have a thorough understanding of Health & Safety legislation and the impact of the works being undertaken
- Hold a relevant qualification in either plumbing, joinery or electrical systems if possible
- Have previous experience of domestic electrical/plumbing/general maintenance
- Have intermediate level skills in business operating systems including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Have demonstrable experience of effective communication both orally and in writing
- Have the ability to prioritise your own workload
- Work within a team to cover reception / admin duties and gain a knowledge of the student booking system
- Competitive salary
- Paid over-time
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance cover