Part-time (20hrs – can be flexible with shift patterns)
We are looking for an experienced Maintenance Operative, with a solid background in general repair and maintenance, to join our 203-bed luxury student accommodation in the City Centre of Exeter.
Downing is an award-winning leading developer, owner and operator of bespoke, luxury student accommodation across the UK. We have been operating for over 30 years and currently have 15 buildings in 10 major cities, with additional impressive schemes currently under construction.
The Maintenance Operative will be responsible for the reactive and planned maintenance and repairs throughout the building.
- Monitoring onsite contracts and overseeing work to ensure it is completed to a high standard.
- Responsible for the planned maintenance including fire alarm testing, emergency lighting testing, fire extinguisher checks water hygiene flushing / temperature monitoring, shower head descaling and health & safety checks.
- Undertake regular patrols around the building to identify any health and safety risks.
- Record, log and monitor any maintenance issues that are reported by customers either online or in person.
- Ensure that maintenance records are kept for the all services, including gas safety inspections, lightening protection systems, fall arrest systems, PAT testing and fixed wiring certification.
- Adherence to H&S policy ensuring that Risk Assessments and Method Statements are obtained / maintained and that safe systems of work are followed, including Permit to Work and hot works permits
- Undertake scheduled flat inspections and complete all resultant actions in a timely manner.
- Carry out general repairs around the building including reception areas, bathrooms, student studios, common areas, kitchens etc to a high standard.
- Work within a team to cover reception / admin duties and gain a knowledge of the student booking system
- Previous experience in general maintenance within a residential or commercial setting.
- A relevant qualification in either plumbing, electrical systems or joinery would be highly advantageous.
- Have a thorough understanding of H&S regulations.
- A good level of IT skills including the use of Microsoft Office packages.
- First class communication skills with the ability to uphold a high level of Customer Service that Downing is renowned for.
Hours of Work:
- Ideally, we are looking for a candidate to work five 4hr shifts per week, between Monday – Friday. We can be flexible with shift patterns.
- There will also be a requirement to work overtime on weekends during the busy student turnaround period and check in weekends.
- Overtime opportunities will be available during the summer period
- Competitive salary
- Paid overtime
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance cover