Managing Quantity Surveyor
Downing has been operating for 30 years, across three successful divisions: mixed use development, property management, and construction and an award winning, leading provider of innovative, high quality student accommodation across the UK and Scotland.
The business is currently in a rapid period of expansion and its holistic approach is the key to its sustainability. Maintaining a thriving investment portfolio the business is continuing to grow as a major force in the property industry throughout the UK.
As a result, there is an immediate opportunity to strengthen the in-house Construction Team.
- Provision of commercial, contractual and financial management service to projects and the business to ensure profit objectives and targets are met.
- To maximise the financial effectiveness and profitability of the business through diligent application of proper contractual and commercial practices and with the careful management of risk
- Assist the Construction Team with the preparation of the Project Master programme
- Assist in the preparation of co-ordinated design programmes and schedules of drawings/information required to allow cost planning and tendering
- Instigate cost control procedures during design development by means of a Cost Appraisal.
- Attend regular design meeting with the consultants as appropriate. Influence the design process and ensure that cost and ease of construction are always taken in to account in the design process
- Undertake regular reviews of the cost appraisal to ensure that design is developing within its parameters
- Prepare and submit regular reports comparing actual estimates against the cost appraisal. Identify problem areas and variances
- Identify areas of risk and uncertainty and review levels of contingency allowance appropriate to the design stage
- Assist the Employer’s Agent in preparing a suitable list of tenderers and advise on procurement strategy, tendering procedures and contract arrangements
- Attend progress meetings with consultants and the construction team
- Identify requirements for Sub-Contract Warranties and ensure that documentation is properly issued, agreed and executed
- Oversee the management of Project Cost Plans
- Monitor the procurement process throughout the duration of the works
- Oversee the preparation of a list of suitable Sub-Contractors for each work package
- Oversee the preparation of detailed Sub-Contract tender packages
- Oversee the placing of orders with Sub-Contractors/Suppliers
- Oversee the management of Sub-Contract Packages
- Oversee the preparation of monthly reports (CVRs)
- To support contracts throughout the country as required. We envisage 1-2 nights away from home per week.
- The instigation and monitoring of standard reporting procedures for use by the Commercial Team
- Recruitment and deployment of staff within the commercial team to provide an effective service for the business
- Identify and communicate training and other requirements to allow development and retention of staff.
- Provide staff with support and guidance on their job responsibilities
- Provide contractual and commercial support to other departments within the group and advise on commercial risk
- Encourage others to adopt new ways of working with enthusiasm
- Seek to minimise waste in resources/processes
- Be flexible and be willing to be involved in other activities to achieve the company objective
- Holds the relevant qualifications (e.g. degree qualification in Quantity Surveying or Construction Management)
- Working knowledge of the construction industry, commercial and procurement processes and procedures
- Experience within a similar role
- To have strong people and leadership skills
- To be able to work as part of a team
- Good communication and delegation skills