Downing has over 30 years’ experience in the delivery of high-quality student accommodation and educational facilities. Opportunities exist to grow with this highly successful, dynamic Company as it expands its operations.
We are looking for a Maintenance Operative to join our team responsible for our Student Accommodation Scheme with 209 beds comprising superior en-suite student bedrooms and exceptional studio apartments in North Acton, London with an additional 497 beds planned to be open in the summer of 2019.
As a Maintenance Operative, you will be responsible for delivering the best experience to our customers by providing a pro-active and responsive repair and maintenance service, ensuring that faults and maintenance requests within the accommodation are dealt with in a timely manner.
This role will provide an opportunity to work approximately 40 hours or more per week during the busy summer months.
The hours for the role will then revert to work on a part time basis, approximately 20 hours per week with occasional overtime as required for the remainder of the calendar year. It would ideally suit an individual looking to flex their hours working between part time and full time.
The Maintenance Operative will:
- Exercise initiative in providing excellent customer service, liaising effectively with Managers and other colleagues
- Liaise with and monitor onsite contractors to ensure completion of work
- Be responsible for the day to day reactive and preventative maintenance
- Be responsible for the planned maintenance including fire alarm testing, emergency lighting testing, fire extinguisher checks water hygiene flushing / temperature monitoring, shower head descaling and health & safety checks
- Undertake regular building patrols to identify any maintenance requirements or Health and Safety risks
- Undertake scheduled flat inspections and complete all resultant actions in a timely manner
- Record, log and monitor any maintenance issues that may arise within the maintenance log book
- Ensure that maintenance records are kept for the all services, including gas safety inspections, lightening protection systems, fall arrest systems, PAT testing and fixed wiring certification
- Ensure that all Property Documentation Files are accurately maintained and up to date
- Adherence to H&S policy ensuring that Risk Assessments and Method Statements are obtained / maintained and that safe systems of work are followed, including Permit to Work and hot works permits
- Interact with students and understand their needs
The ideal Maintenance Operative will:
- Take ownership of responsibilities and display pride in work carried out
- Have a thorough understanding of Health & Safety legislation and the impact of the works being undertaken
- Hold a relevant qualification in either plumbing, joinery or electrical systems if possible
- Have previous experience of domestic electrical/plumbing/general maintenance
- Have intermediate level skills in business operating systems including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Have demonstrable experience of effective communication both orally and in writing
- Have the ability to prioritise your own workload
- Work within a team to cover reception / admin duties and gain a knowledge of the student booking system